The publication unit can trace its origin to publication of 'Palaeobotany in India' in the year 1932 by Professor Birbal Sahni as a prelude to publication of a regular science Journal on palaeobotany. The journal was named "The Palaeobotanist".
The first volume of Institute's journal dedicated to Prof. Sahni, appeared in 1952 as Birbal Sahni memorial volume. In the beginning only one issue was taken out every year. However, with the increase in contributions from Institute and abroad, two numbers per year were published from 1956 and three per year from 1962. "The Palaeobotanist" is acknowledged as the foremost palaeobotanical journal and has world wide circulation.